8th Annual Transgender Information & Empowerment Summit
Check out our TIES 2021 event recap!
We are looking forward to the 8th annual Transgender Information & Empowerment Summit (TIES), which will take place from Wednesday, October 20 through Saturday, October 23! The conference is staying virtual for 2021. This was a long, thoughtful decision to protect the health and safety of everyone who loves TIES and to plan for the best event in these uncertain times. We saw how last year’s virtual format allowed more people than ever to make connections, get information, and access resources!
TIES is a free conference that serves the needs and interests of transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming Virginians of all ages as well as their friends, family members, partners, and allies. Register today!
The TIES 2021 Schedule & Program is now live – check it out!
Download our official conference app here – you will need to register to get the code to sign up.
TIES 2021 Event Recap
Donate to Keep TIES free!
TIES Schedule & Program
Register for the conference
Download our conference app
Become a Community Voice
Name & Gender Marker Change Clinic
Become a Volunteer
TIES has a lot to offer
No matter what you’re looking for, there is something at TIES for you:
- Social events and networking opportunities to connect one-on-one or all together with conference attendees. For the open mic on Thursday, sign up by Wednesday, October 20 at 7:30pm so you dazzle us: bit.ly/TIES2021openmic. For the talent show on Friday, sign sign up by Thursday, October 21 at 7:30pm so you can show us what you got: bit.ly/TIES2021talent.
- Dozens of diverse workshops that cover a range of topics from health insurance to racial justice to voting rights, and so much more. Check out the TIES 2021 schedule and program to read the workshop descriptions and plan your days!
- Powerful keynotes from Tona Brown, Aurora Higgs, Charley Burton, Ali Moros Taylor, Andraya Yearwood, Noah Vann, and Justin Sykes. Check out the TIES 2021 schedule and program to read the descriptions and plan your days!
- Legal clinic providing free assistance with the name and gender marker change process. Register for assistance! Services will be provided the week after the conference thanks to the Virginia Equality Bar Association and BaryLaw.
- Wellness center where you can talk for free with a trans-affirming mental health or medical provider to ask questions and find resources. You can sign up for an appointment here by Tuesday, October 19 at 5:00pm: bit.ly/TIES2021wellness
- Programming for trans and gender expansive youth as well as family members, partners, and allies. Check out the TIES 2021 schedule and program to learn more!
- Conference app to stay connected virtually
- Interpretation in English, Spanish, and American Sign Language (ASL), and closed captions in English.
Check out the TIES 2021 Schedule & Program Check out the TIES 2020 recap!
Planning & Racial Equity
Racial Justice Commitment
Racial justice is a core value of TIES. We are committed to ensuring that TIES 2021 is a space where Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, Middle Eastern and Northern African, and Pacific Islander people can thrive, connect, and leave empowered. We honor and acknowledge the countless ways that Black trans communities have built the movements that made TIES possible. We know that the needs and interests of Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, Middle Eastern and Northern African, and Pacific Islander people must be prioritized in order to ensure our whole community thrives. You can read Equality Virginia’s commitment to anti-racism for a fuller sense of our dedication to this work.
Planning & Equity Committee
Ahead of TIES 2021, we have launched the TIES Planning & Equity Committee as part of Equality Virginia’s commitment to anti-racism.
This committee is for community members who are Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander, Middle Eastern and Northern African, and/or Spanish speakers to be decision-makers about the direction, programming, and focus of TIES 2021 – including around areas of racial equity and language access. The committee is open to cisgender family members, partners, and allies, though transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming people’s voices will be prioritized.
Participants will receive a $30 stipend for each meeting they attend – about one per month – and do not need to attend every meeting. Stipends are made possible thanks to the generosity of Virginia Pride!
Learn more about TIES
Watch these videos to see why trans, non-binary, and allied Virginians attended TIES in 2017 and TIES in 2018, and check out photos from previous TIES conferences!
Hear from community members what they liked about TIES in 2019 and 2020:
“Everything, it feels like a family reunion!”
“I loved being in encouraging inclusive spaces and getting to connect with folks. I found the content and guests this year really exciting and impressive.”
“Every session I attended incorporated racial justice. This framework is so important and should be replicated at all conferences.”
“As an ally with a transgender family member, one of the things I really like about VA TIES is the positive atmosphere throughout the day. I know that some of the sessions discussed difficult and sensitive topics, but there seemed to be an overall sense of joy and freedom among many attendees.”
“Interesting and useful workshops! The virtual format was also very convenient and the resources (both within the conference and discussed at the conference) were wonderful.”
“I loved the community and getting to meet other folx. I don’t think that I would have been able to attend in person, so silver lining of a global pandemic!”
One of the major goals of this conference is to create opportunities for connection. We invite community organizations and faith-based organizations to join us in building a vibrant and diverse space where individuals can learn, grow, and get connected to important resources. As a Community Voice, we ask that your organization help to spread the word about the conference. To show our appreciation, your organization’s logo (with a link to your website) will be posted on the Virginia TIES web page and you’ll receive recognition during the conference. Sign up to be a community voice today!
Note: We appreciate the support of the University of Richmond School of Law and we remain in full support of the demands by the UR Black Student Coalition, which the larger university has yet to fully meet. We continue to call on the University of Richmond to meet all demands by the Black Student Coalition. Learn more about the Black Student Coalition and their demands: www.protectourweb.com.
Thank you to our conference sponsor, Gilead!
Thank you to our Signature Sponsors:
Planning & Equity Committee Sponsor – Virginia Pride
Community Investment Sponsor – Kaiser Permanente
Accessibility & Empowerment Sponsor – Mosaic Interpreting Services