Deputy Director of Communications– Digital Engagement
Type: Full-Time, Hourly Non-Exempt
Location: Richmond, VA
Reports to: Executive Director
Application closing date: Open until filled
Impact Statement: Equality Virginia’s Deputy Director of Communications- Digital Engagement is responsible for advancing our mission by developing innovative and comprehensive strategies to change the narrative and uplift the stories of LGBTQ+ Virginians to further equity, equality, and inclusion. The Deputy Director of Communications- Digital Engagement owns marketing and messaging for every type of Equality Virginia stakeholder: advocates, legislators, community members, and donors. The successful candidate can operate well in both the public policy and fundraising spaces–writing legislative action alerts as well as copyediting development campaign asks and crafting social media language.
About the team and you: At Equality Virginia, we are committed to using an intersectional approach in our work. Equality Virginia’s work focuses on macro-level systems change and our success is inherently tied to the collective liberation of all oppressed peoples.
Frequently cited statistics show that femme, trans, and nonbinary people, as well as Black, Indigenous, and people of color of all backgrounds apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Equality Virginia encourages you to break that statistic and apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. Equality Virginia’s team engages in hard work and heart work and the team values authenticity, empathy, compassion, and kindness–we’re a close-knit team that works together regularly.
We look forward to reviewing your application.
CONTENT CREATION & MANAGEMENT:
- Produce written and visual content for social media platforms, regular newsletters, email campaigns, blogs, social media, press releases, policy briefs, testimony and more.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, Director of Programs & Community Partnerships, and Safe Schools Coordinator, design one-pagers and fact sheets. This requires comfort with translating technical writing into compelling, understandable storytelling for the public and also requires comfort transforming collective and personal narrative into technical writing for policy brief and testimony development.
- Creates marketing materials on a variety of subjects. The position includes substantial writing responsibilities as well as a good eye for visual presentation, graphics creation, and design.
- Update Equality Virginia style guide
ONLINE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT:
- Increase visibility of Equality Virginia’s efforts and connect with target audiences across social and digital media channels.
- Guide social media strategy while tracking and evaluating stakeholder engagement.
- Maintain and envision Equality Virginia’s webpage with third-party providers.
- Collaborate with Equality Virginia’s Development Coordinator to coordinate multi-channel campaigns and engage in meaningful donor stewardship.
MEDIA RELATIONS & TRAINING:
- Craft and distribute a narrative that elevates Virginia’s LGBTQ+ community’s diversity, pride, joy, and resilience.
- Oversee the development and management of media interest in Equality Virginia.
- Manage media contacts and ensure regular contact with target media through tracking and reporting.
- Offer media training as needed.
- Guide the Executive Director in managing appropriate response to media requests.
- In collaboration with the Development Coordinator, implement Equality Virginia’s mission-centered fundraising and community events.
- In collaboration with the Director of Programs, develop communications, invitations, and planning for events and programming.
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Development Coordinator, align Equality Virginia’s public and donor communications, including contributing to digital donor appeals.
- Manage and ensure accuracy of communications systems, database and reporting.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to equality for all LGBTQ+ persons, and embraces an anti-racist and anti-transphobic approach based in an intersectional understanding of the experiences of our diverse constituency.
- Experience working in partnership with individuals of low or limited income, with Black, Indigenous, and Latinx community members, and with transgender and gender-nonconforming people.
- At least one year of experience in creating, managing, and implementing communications and digital calendars and content.
- A rich understanding of the landscape of social media and how to effectively build a communications strategy around Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram.
- Virginia-based candidate with knowledge of Virginia politics, LGBTQ+ landscape, and legislative process is preferred
- Ability to manage and delegate tasks to others, including interns, directors, and others as needed
- Enjoys making connections with people and connecting individuals to one another
- Experience with and ability to engage stakeholders with different levels of education and professional experience.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong design skills.
- Highly organized and consistent across responsibilities.
- Collaborative and flexible attitude, with a heavy dash of grit, and a sense of humor
- Ready to learn, gain new skills, and willing to request assistance and collaboration from coworkers
- Understanding of trauma informed practice as it relates to communications language and presentation, and messaging evaluation
- Values language justice and disability justice, and has experience making communications, digital media, and resources accessible to a wide range of audiences
Compensation: $52,000-$60,000 annual salary. We offer an excellent benefits package including: 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage, generous paid time off and holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, cell phone and travel reimbursement, paid parking, and a professional development stipend
You’ll have the opportunity to meaningfully contribute towards our mission and vision:
Our Vision | Virginia is a state in which LGBTQ+ people – every demographic, race, ethnicity, zip code, and experience – are valued and thriving.
Our Mission | Equality Virginia confronts systemic inequities to liberate the full spectrum of the LGBTQ+ community from discrimination and oppression.
Email resume (including names and contact information of 3 references), cover letter, and two writing samples (one should include drafted social media content and/or plan if available) to [email protected]. Please be sure to put “Deputy Director of Communications” in the subject line of your email.