Position: Director of Programs & Community Partnerships
Type: Full-Time, Hourly Non-Exempt
Location: Richmond, VA
Reports to: Executive Director
Application closing date: Open until filled
Impact Statement: Equality Virginia seeks an organized, knowledgeable, personable, and creative Director of Programs & Community Partnerships who is passionate about educating others and building connections with stakeholders in order to achieve equality for vulnerable LGBTQ+ Virginians. This includes the development and implementation of professional programming for Equality Virginia training, workshops, conferences, seminars, and similar events. The Director of Programs & Community Partnerships will also develop and implement a speakers bureau program to train and connect community members with speaking engagements and other paid opportunities. The Director of Programs & Community Partnerships reports to Equality Virginia’s Executive Director. This role requires a deep commitment to working in partnership with individuals of low or limited income, with people living in rural areas, with Black, Indigenous, and Latinx community members, and with transgender and gender non-conforming people.
Position Summary: The Director of Programs & Community Partnerships is responsible for coordinating, creating, deploying, and facilitating education and related programs of Equality Virginia. This includes (but is not limited to) conducting the majority of Equality Virginia’s training offerings, creating and curating new training and educational programs, and supporting the development & deployment of resource navigation materials. In order to meet engagement requests, the Director of Programs & Community Partnerships will build a team of facilitators to support their activities by developing & implementing a speakers bureau program. Additional responsibilities include supporting Equality Virginia’s current partnerships and fostering relationships with like-minded providers and organizations.
About the team and you: At Equality Virginia, we are committed to using an intersectional approach in our work. Equality Virginia’s work focuses on macro-level systems change and our success is inherently tied to the collective liberation of all oppressed peoples.
Frequently cited statistics show that femme, trans, and nonbinary people, as well as Black, Indigenous, and people of color of all backgrounds apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. Equality Virginia encourages you to break that statistic and apply. No one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. Equality Virginia’s team engages in hard work and heart work and the team values authenticity, empathy, compassion, and kindness–we’re a close-knit team that works together regularly.
We look forward to reviewing your application.
EDUCATION– Speaking Engagements, Training, & Resource Navigation
- Develop, coordinate and support Equality Virginia’s annual programs: Transgender Information and Empowerment Summit, Name Change & Gender Marker Update Clinic.
- Maintain or develop subject matter expertise on issues relating to civil rights for LGBTQ+ Virginians.
- Coordinate, conduct, and create training, education programs, written resources, and other materials for providers and community members on various LGBTQ+ issues, including conducting teach-ins, presenting at meetings and webinars, and other community education.
- Manage staff conferences, seminars and similar training events while supporting other community outreach events, including on evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Support the preparation and submission of required grant reporting.
CONFERENCES & SEMINARS – Professional Program Coordinator
- Scheduling and coordinating professional program planning meetings
- Prepare agendas, take minutes, & tracking action items
- Developing, collecting, and coordinating collateral materials
- Support logistics for speakers/panelists’ presentations
- Develop, implement, and analyze conference-related surveys and evaluation
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Development Coordinator, collaborate on sponsorship opportunities and deliverables to support and grow existing conferences.
PARTNERSHIPS, ASSESSMENT, MONITORING & EVALUATION
- Support outreach efforts including identification of outreach opportunities, attending outreach events as needed, and maintaining records of activities.
- Support the development of partnerships with local officials, community-based organizations, nonprofit organizations, and civic organizations.
- Represent Equality Virginia at community meetings and events
- Work with the other staff members on an overall outreach and communications plan
- Ensure compliance, record keeping, and monthly reporting for outreach and education efforts
- Travel within the state is required by the position,
- Assist Executive Director and Development Coordinator with grant writing, reporting, and other activities as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to equality for all LGBTQ+ persons, and embraces an anti-racist and anti-transphobic approach based in an intersectional understanding of the experiences of our diverse constituency.
- Experience working in partnership with individuals of low or limited income, with Black, Indigenous, and Latinx community members, and with transgender and gender-nonconforming people.
- At least one year of experience in creating and implementing training programs, seminars, and conferences, particularly in a nonprofit setting
- Virginia-based candidate is preferred
- At least one year of professional public speaking, ideally with experience in adult facilitation/learning
- Ability to manage and delegate tasks to others, including interns, directors, and others as needed
- Enjoys making connections with people and connecting individuals to one another
- Experience with and ability to engage stakeholders with different levels of education and professional experience.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Highly organized and consistent across responsibilities.
- Collaborative and flexible attitude, with a heavy dash of grit, and a sense of humor
- Ready to learn, gain new skills, and willing to request assistance and collaboration from coworkers
- Understanding of trauma informed practice as it relates to program development, implementation, and evaluation
- Values language justice and disability justice, and has experience making programs accessible to a wide range of audience
Compensation: $60,000-$70,000 annual salary. We offer an excellent benefits package including: 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage, generous paid time off and holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, cell phone and travel reimbursement, paid parking, and a professional development stipend
You’ll have the opportunity to meaningfully contribute towards our mission and vision:
Our Vision | Virginia is a state in which LGBTQ+ people – every demographic, race, ethnicity, zip code, and experience – are valued and thriving.
Our Mission | Equality Virginia confronts systemic inequities to liberate the full spectrum of the LGBTQ+ community from discrimination and oppression.
Email resume (including names and contact information of 3 references) and cover letter to [email protected]. Please be sure to put “Director of Programs & Community Partnerships” in the subject line of your email.