We Are Still In Virginia
Yesterday was about celebrating our wins for equality. This morning, many of us wake up realizing we are still in Virginia where…
- [caption id="attachment_1583" align="alignright" width="220"] Governor McDonnell[/caption] Governor McDonnell allows the State Board of Social Services to discriminate against LGBT youth in the foster care system.
- Longtime partners can find themselves homeless because Governor McDonnell won’t extend Medicaid spousal impoverishment protections to gay and lesbian couples.
- Attorney General Cuccinelli bullies the Board of Juvenile Justice while it tries to protect LGBT youth in the juvenile justice system.
- It is still legal to fire and not hire someone because they are gay even though 87% of Virginians think gays and lesbians have the right to work for the government without discrimination.
- It is still legal to deny housing to people based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- The leadership in the House of Delegates won’t let any pro-LGBT bill out of committee for a full and open vote.